Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Traditions

John and I have decided to start our own holiday traditions this year since Lorelei is old enough to start enjoying them, so I made our own family Thanksgiving dinner the weekend before Thanksgiving so that we could just be together as a family to celebrate and give our thanks!
Pumpkin Cookies, they are THE best!
Banana bread.
My apple pie that the crust didn't bake on the bottom, it was ok for my first attempt and yes, I did follow the directions :O)!
Our feast!
For Thanksgiving, John, Lorelei and I went to my Mom's house. It was a small party this year, just us, Mom, my Uncle Walt and his friend Kenton. I've know Kenton all my life and he makes THE best bread! Hopefully he will give me the recipe soon! Lorelei even kept her hairbow in her hair until dinner. I was very impressed!
Trying to eat Memaw's decorations!
Now, we are trying to throw them because they are "balls"!
Staring out the door to check on the dogs. My mom adopted a lab mix and she's an old lady, so her name is 'Old Girl'. She can't hear and moves slow but when we went for our annual after meal walk, she was the most excited I have ever seen her. Mom was also watching her friends dog, Molly. She is also a rescue and I am not sure what she is but think she is a mix. Lorelei had tremendous fun with the dogs!
My mom also has a fun Thanksgiving tradition that she has been doing ever since I can remember. She gives everyone that has come for dinner a little gift right before dinner. I don't know how it got started but I think it is to thank everyone for coming together. I love that tradition along with watching the parade to see Santa! I can't wait to have Thanksgiving at my house to continue that tradition! I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We are starting to decorate for Christmas. While Lo napped today we cleaned and put up the Christmas tree. When she woke up to the lights on the tree, her expression was priceless! She was so excited. If I don't get anything else for Christmas, that would be good enough for me! Oh the joy on children's faces at this time of year!

1 comment:

RHONDA said...

How neat ..and what an awesome spread you prepared!!! I know you enjoyed it.. I can't wait to get my tree up...I am a bit delayed this year because I forgot I threw my tree out last year..because the stand broke..so we either have to buy one or get a real one and I don't want to get a real one until later...so :( a lil sad..but I am going to get the decor out soon!! Thanks for sharing!!